For companies who do outbound email marketing, using CANDDi and MailChimp together is a fantastic way to increase the ratio of identified visitors to unknown visitors on their website.
This document describes how to create unique URL's within your email campaigns so that when an email recipient reads the email and decides to click through the link to visit your website then CANDDi will identify them
Steps to creating customised emails / newsletters
1. MailChimp provide the ability for you to create (and manage) lists of Contacts within your MailChimp account. You can see these within your lists (https://us4.admin.mailchimp.com/lists/)
It's important that your lists are accurate and up to date - the more data you have in these lists the more CANDDi will be tracking. By default CANDDi takes the Email Address, First Name and Last Name.
2. Then start to create your next newsletter. Use your template and enter content as normal.
Note: When you create templates, put plain links in or none at all. Untick the little CANDDi tracking box in the bottom right, and make sure it stays unticked! Otherwise when you track it at the Campaign stage, you may duplicate the tracking.
3. In order for CANDDi to track visitors when they click from the email to your website then every link within your email should be a "CANDDi Tracking Link"
You can create these Tracking Links using the Create Tracking URL wizard which is under the Actions menu in the CANDDi dashboard.
3.1 Select Mail Chimp from the drop down list
3.2 Enter the URL of the webpage that you want your link to lead to
3.3 You can either use CANDDi Google Analytics Tracking or Mailchimp's, but not both.
EITHER in Mailchimp:
At the Campaign stage where you name your campaign etc, tick the box for Google Analytics tracking.
OR in CANDDi:
Select Yes to add Google Analytics tracking as well (UTM codes).
- add the Campaign information: Medium = "email", Source = your contact database or client_list or something similar, Name = e.g. August_Newsletter
- NOTE: spaces are not allowed, use underscores
Make sure you don't tick both - you will duplicate it and it will mess up!
3.5 Click the green Generate code button. CANDDi automatically inserts the correct Mail Chimp merge tags and produces a "CANDDi Tracking link".
4. Now insert the "CANDDi Tracking link" links into your email using the Mail Chimp Insert Link
5. When you send a preview (or the final campaign) then Mail Chimp will replace the Merge Tags with the relevant values for First Name, Last Name and Email for each of your Contacts. Then when the Contact clicks the link they will be taken to your website and CANDDi will identify them
Any problems please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you ASAP