Use of data and direct marketing activity in the UK is governed by the Data Protection Act (1998) and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR). This in turn is enforced and policed by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) who have released several guidance documents covering ‘what you need to know’.
Below are a series of links and what is contained within:
- What are PECR? (Article from the ICO)
- Electronic and telephone marketing (Article from the ICO)
- A direct marketing checklist (PDF from the ICO) - best to focus on page 4
- The Data Protection Act (From legislation.gov.uk)
- Direct Marketing: a quick guide (From Practical Law)
- Post Brexit changes in direct marketing law a GDPR Perspective (Article by Databroker)